Monday, January 25, 2010

VERN SCHWARZ - Bike Break


This is my first contribution for The Flying Moleskins, and the recipient of this oil on paper, is that very fine gentleman and wonderful artist, Dean Haven. I had the pleasure of speaking with Dean the other day, and he is a very engaging fellow who is great fun to compare notes with. Dean, I hope you like it, and I hope it folds well (after it dries), and does all the right stuff to look good in your moleskin book. This is from a photo I took while in Germany, and I plan to do a couple more from this trip. So fellow moleskinners, if you'd like something along these lines, chime in now. By the way, I first sprayed the pages with Kamar varnish (thanks James Parker), and then gave it two coats of gesso.

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful piece Vern.
    i would love to see one in my book. Go Vern go!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one, Vern! I really like your cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Vern! Great composition and colors. Thanks for repeating James' tip about the Kamar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vern, your trip to Germany is paying off. You doing some fabulous paintings from it.
    I guess as he pedaled from the previous picture he got tired......
    I love this piece too = )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, love it, love it...what else can I say?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm chiming in, I would love one of your souvenirs from the Germany trip. This one is super. I love the tranquil look on his face, just a trace of a contented smile after a long ride. I was looking up close and your subtleties are right on. Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, my theme is places of all kind and all I'm saying is Germany is some kind of a place!
    Great composition, love the way you balanced the warm browns with the pop of green, also really like that his shirt is green, good balance.

    I did not see (can't find) James' explanation on Kamar varnish, is it necessary to use it before gesso?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm chiming in too. These European paintings are gorgeous...can't wait to see more. I lived in Germany for a few years (almost twenty years ago)...nice memories.

    I also like the repetition of the green in the bike and shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thanks, Vern! I'm excited! This is excellent. You sure got a lot of info in for such a small painting.
    Once again, thanks for such a great entry to start my book off!
    ps Enjoyed the phone call!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous. I love everything about it! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone so much for the great comments. I definitely feel inspired to continue with this theme, and look forward to marking up everyone else's books...ha!

    Angela, I'm not entirely sure about this, but on the lighter weight paper I think it helps. I didn't use it on the 140lb. watercolour paper, and it didn't curl or do any other nasty tricks.

    ReplyDelete