Thursday, February 4, 2010

CAMILLE OLSEN

"MICHELLE BURNETT AS A BABY" - 5 x 16 oil on gessoed watercolor paper. Michelle must have been a beautiful baby -- you can't help thinking that when you see her as an adult. I happened upon this snapshot of her as a toddler and decided it was time for me to paint my first full figure child's portrait. I was going for a very loose "faded-photograph" (like the song) feeling. In person the colors are more golden and not this pale. I may paint each of you artists in your book unless you protest ahead of time. Feel free to email me a preferred photo if you wish.

14 comments:

  1. this is wonderful work .
    the way you worked the white and the colors is unique .
    i loved ! so much !!
    and i am kind of jealous :)

    thank you for this Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous portrait Camille.
    I love the fleeting feeling it gives that childhood is but a moment and goes with the theme of a snapshot in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Camille! This is up at the level of a Mary Cassatt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pastel soft color you used in this Camille, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I noted on your blog - I absolutely love and appreciate this! (I'm *blushing*)

    I also love Sheila's reference to Mary Cassatt - very soft and sweetly rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camille - fantastic! Gorgeous work, tenderly handled. Just love it!!! I agree with Sheila, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camille,
    Can I just agree with all the comments above?
    Suffering from frozen shoulder and with lots of pain.
    Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful, really like the strong sidelight and the vertical composition, very endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very sweet painting, Camille - wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat, novel idea...and you did such an awesome job! Mary Cassatt would be envious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The soft pastel look is done to great effect and suits the subject nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, everybody. I think it's time for a new post, don't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Camille, all of a sudden you have emerged as quite the portrait artist. I am so impressed, and love your work. These soft tones and colours are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete